Before starting the install Webmin, I will review some of the Webmin. Have you heard the word before Webmin? When you hear the word Webmin, which is pictured in your mind might be something related to the web, or in other words based Internet. Webmin is a web -based system administration . ( Web-based administration ) - administration of the Unix-based operating system. In addition to Linux , the BSD family , Sun Solaris , SCO , HP / UX and much more, there are approximately 40 -an operating system ' supported by Webmin. Administration of what can be done by Webmin? Webmin can do system administration to start after the computer is turned on until the computer shuts down. It can all be done by Webmin. Many administrative services that can be handled by Webmin. Ranging from user administration to Web server settings, DNS, Proxy, VPN, administration daemon to cd burn and firewalling. But it should be understood that Webmin is an intermediate configuration ( interface ) to applications on the system. Therefore, system administration can be done if the necessary application is already installed . Suppose you want to configure Apache as a web server, then the previous Apache package must be installed correctly. Webmin interface is only intended to facilitate the administration of the system. Webmin is written in Perl by Jamie Cameron.
Here I use VPS that we have complete control in the management of these servers. I use Putty Configuration application. Putty itself is an open source program that you can use to perform network protocol SSH, Telnet, and Rlogin. These protocols can be used to run a remote session on a computer through a network, whether LAN or the Internet. The program is widely used by computer users to upper intermediate level, which is usually used to connect, simulate, or try various things associated with the network. You should check whether the hostname is already fully qualified domain name ( FQDN ), if not please at the first setting because it can interfere with the installation process Webmin. For my friend who first rented VPS certainly still confused how to login to the server. Below are the steps to log in to the server ( VPS ).
== Run Putty ==
- Fill in the IP Server Host Name, the port does not need to be changed remains 22
- Click Open, a black screen ( or called console) will appear soon
- If an alert (security warning) click " Yes"
- Login as: root fill. Root ( with lower case / lowercase) is a user with the power of almighty god on a Linux server. Only root user who can create, remove, install and configure applications. Be careful not to leak the root password for your server 100% would be hijacked and the hijackers could remove the whole server in a short time.
- When asked to fill in a password, please copy the text you store server password (select > right-click > copy) and then right-click once on a screen area of Putty. Take a good look this way!!! Once the copied text password, take your cursor to the area of a black screen and RIGHT CLICK ONCE. The password will not appear on the screen but actually paste the password already there. Then press enter.
- After a successful login, you will find a prompt in the form of root @ hostname ~ # which means the server is ready to receive commands you want to run.
OS can support Webmin:
- CentOS 5 and 6 on i386 or x86_64
- RHEL 5 and 6 on i386 and x86_64
- Scientific Linux 6 on i386 and x86_64
- Debian 6 on i386 or amd64
- Ubuntu 8.04 LTS, 10.04, and 12.04 LTS on i386 or amd64
Before you install the update package Webmin advised to first
yum –y update
After that, we installed again , as shown below
yum groupinstall “Development Tools” –y yum –y instal gcc yum –y instal libpcap yum instal nano yum instal widget
wget http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/webadmin/webmin-1.730-1. noarch. rpm
Install Webmin Using rpm Command
rpm –U webmin-1.730-1. noarch. rpm
After that please login Webmin you by visiting : https : // IPVPS : 10000 / replace IPVPS with your IPVPS number , for example https : //162.243.97.xx : 10000 / Here is a view after you visit your VPS Webmin :
Then click Add Exception, then
chckconfig webmin on
Now open your web and input to the port 10000 VPS is Iexample 162.243.97.xx VPS web browser and then type in HTTP : //162.243.97.xx : 10000 user input by using the " root" , and Pass to remember our login on our VPS ip port 10000 example : 162.243.97.xx : 10000 usernames and password the same as when we logged in VPS . Until this point, we have successfully installed CentOS VPS Webmin . In some cases Webmin can not be accessed with https , then the solution is to replace https to HTTP.
Click Install updates now , and
How to Start/Stop Webmin Service
Webmin provides an init script to start or stop its service. Use below commands to do it.
- /etc/init.d/webmin start
- /etc/init.d/webmin stop
- /etc/init.d/webmin restart
- /etc/init.d/webmin status
How to Change/Reset Webmin root Password
In order to change Webmin root account password use following command. ( Note: It will not change your systems root password )
- /usr/libexec/webmin/changepass.pl /etc/webmin root secretpassword
How to Change Webmin default Port
If you do not want to run webmin with default port, use below steps to change the default port.
Login Webmin as root >> Webmin >> Webmin Configuration >> Ports and Addresses… you can change port there. Even though webmin is used to adjust the existing system on the server, such as DNS server, Mail Server and others. Webmin can also be used as a web hosting panel as Kloxo and Zpanel. Administration can be done by Webmin is able to carry out the administration of the system start after the computer is turned on to the computer shutdown. Administrative services that can be handled among others are user administration, setting up a web server, DNS, proxy, VPN and firewall administration daemon. Webmin is an intermediate configuration ( interface ) to applications that exist on the system, then the system administration can be performed if the required application is already installed. Webmin is just an interface which aims to simplify the administration of the system.
Some advantages of using Webmin are :
- Use easy
- Time-saving in administrationsupport terhadap turunan
- Unix , including Linux and the BSD family
- easy installation
- Easy to add modules and updates
- Their facilities that help simplify administration