Things You Should Know About Froxlor
What is Froxlor? Focusing on the name it is the least familiar to me, not even the easiest to pronounce. Well this doesn’t make me stop to go in depths of it and find out about froxlor. Briefly, Froxlor is a server administrative software developed by a group of experienced server administrators with the purpose of helping early users and administrators to manage their servers. Froxlor is an Open Source licensed software (General Public License (GPL)). Froxlor doesn’t come with a complete AMP or LEMP stack like VestaCP,CentOS Web Panel or Kloxo. However you can enjoy so many key features such as you can enjoy free web hosting control panel. Such as,
- It has the ability to use IPv4 as well as IPv6 or choose per domain which IPv4 or IPv6 addresses and which ports should be used.
- An Advance SSL feature which allows user to determine which ports should use SSL and which allow customers to store certificates per domain.
- Save different PHP-Configurations and choose per domain which php.ini is used.
- Supports Ngnix and Apache also.
- It has the capability to oversee reseller resources, limit what the clients may use in their devoted panel.
- Store dedicated HTTP,FTP and Mail traffic and view them in interactive graphs.
- Useful for customers as it allows them to create support tickets and reply within Froxlor i.e with on/offline indicator for the customers.
- Froxlor has a built-in WebFTP which enables users to up and download files directly to your browser.
- You can change the theme of the froxlor by overwriting the basic CSS or by creating your own theme.
- It also features MySQL management.
- Protects your directory and saves your settings.
Quota Management as well.
There are some fundamentals you have to do or you better do to complete the procedure.
- Basic knowledge about how to use a SSH client like “Putty”.
- You should have the basic knowledge about the common Unix commands for SSH server.
- A server with 512MB of RAM (at least) but 1 GB is recommended. If you don’t already have one then there is a quick recommendation “Atlantic.net”, “RamNode”, “Digital Ocean”.
- Ensure your VPS already has a valid hostname for FQDN (hostname.domain.tld).
- Your VPS should be running one of the Froxlor supported OS i.e. Wheezy Ubuntu or Debian Squeeze 11.04 or 12.04. Using nominal template is recommended.
- The whole process will require 20 minutes of your time. Grab a cup of coffee.
Currently Froxlor is only released for Gentoo and Debian but it works equally well on equivalent Ubuntu versions. In this article I will be using a 1GB cloud VPS from Atlantic.net which runs Ubuntu 12.04. It is a 32-bit system, and the steps are similar for Debian Wheezy.
Froxlor v0.9.34, released on September 7th 2015 to support Debian 8 (Jessie) Servers. It means that it can also be installed on Ubuntu 14.04.
PRE-SECTION: LOGGING IN
SECTION 1: INSTALLING LAMP
You need not to follow this step and move to section 2 if you already have LAMP running on your VPS.
Step 1- Install Apache 2 using the apt-get command
apt-get update-y apt-get install apache2-y
Step 2- Now we will install PHP on the server. There are several builds of PHP you can use whatever you want but to go along with this tutorial you can use the one I am using and follow the steps. The following command will be used to install PHP5 on your server.
apt-get install php5 php5-cgi php5-cli php5-common php5-curl php5-dev php5-gd php5-tidy php5-xmlrpc php5-xsl php5-suhosin php5-mcrypt php5-imap php5-imagick libapache2-mod-php5 –y
Step 3- Now onto installing MYSQL server. apt-get install mysql-server php5-mysql –y
Step 4- For initial MySQL setup write the following command
All you have to do is that simply answer some easy questions
SECTION 2: INSTALLING FROXLOR
Now when you are done with installing LAMP let’s move forward. Install froxlor by using the same old “apt-get” command. It can be installed easily by this command but this command is not available in Ubuntu default repository so we have to add it manually.
Step 1- Issue the following command to add Froxlor in Ubuntu.
apt-get install python-software-properties -y add-apt-repository "deb http://debian.froxlor.org wheezy main
Step 2- So now we also have to add the software keys for Froxlor’s repository apt-key adv --keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv-key FD88018B6F2D5390D051343FF6B4A8704F9E9BBC
Step 3- Now you can use the same old “apt-get” command to install Froxlor. apt-get update -y apt-get install froxlor php5-curl –y
Now you have to pay very close attention on your screen as shown in the screenshot above. You will be asked a series of questions which you have to answer. To navigate press the tab key or the arrow keys on your keyboard and to select an option press Enter on your keyboard.
SECTION 3: FINISHING INSTALLATION 5
Step 1- Open up a web browser (any one you like) and access Froxlor using your IP address.
in the above address replace the xx’s with the IP address of your serevr/vps.
Now it will display the initial install page as shown below
Click on start install. Now the Froxlor will check your system specifications and compare it with its requirements and check whether the system satisfies its requirements or not.
In the next page there are numerous fields that you have to fill in. This includes Database connection and details , Administrator Account and also the server settings.
In the web page above you are asked to choose that which web server you are using among Apache,ligHTTPd or Ngnix. Hence we are using Apache so you will choose Apache.
Now when you are done, click on the “click here to login” message. Now Froxlor will run a final assessment to make sure that your settings are operational.
If on your screen the message “Successfully Installed Froxlor” or “Froxlor was installed successfully” appears, this means that the installation process has been completed successfully. You can now login as an Admin to the froxlor dashboard via the username and password defined by you.
Here below is how the dashboard will look like.
So Guys that’s it for now. Hope that you will find the above steps to install Froxlor easy to follow. Hope you liked it.