Android is an operating system that runs on mobile devices. It was developed by Google. It was initially released in 2008. Android is mostly used in smartphones and tablets. So as we can see everywhere around us that almost everyone has a smartphone now a days. Whether it be men or women, of all ages, everyone uses a smartphone these days. In 2014, Google revealed that there were more than 1 billion monthly active android users.
People use their android smartphones for different purposes. People can do many of their daily life tasks on their android smartphones. We can take pictures, record videos, send and receive emails, do video calls etc. and many other things. But everything that is present on their smartphones, that is just on their phones, and nowhere else. So if you ever lost your android smartphone, or it just fell on the floor and its not working again, then you are screwed. All of your data that you had saved in your phone, all of it is now gone with your phone too.
So to save you from these kind of situations, we are here. Today, I am going to show you that how you can create a full backup of your android device. Once you have taken the backup, you don’t have to worry about losing your data ever again. So I am going to show you various methods through which you can create a full android backup and restore of your device. So you can backup your android device through these methods:
1) Via Google
Google provides you this facility to backup all of your phone data to your google account. If you want to enable this facility, then you will have to go to your phone’s settings. In there you will see a section saying Backup & Reset. When you tap on this option, you will see options through which you can backup your app data, Wi-Fi passwords and preferences. All of this will be backup android phone to google and then you can restore android' fr'om' google' backup them on other devices too. The screens will be looking something like this:
2) Via app (on non-rooted phones)
If you have a non rooted android smartphone, then you can use the app named ‘Easy Backup & Restore’. There are plenty of apps in Google Play store which let you backup your data, this is an easy to use app. Through this app, you can backup your messages, contacts, call logs, bookmarks and calendars. This app does not backup your pictures, music, videos and documents. You can backup these things by connecting your phone to your PC and then and then you can copy them. Now I am going to tell you how you can use the Easy Backup & Restore app.
- First step is that you have to download this app on your android smartphone. After downloading and installing this app, it will ask you that do you want to create a backup of your android phone. Then you have to tap yes.
- After you tap yes, you will see a bunch of things that you can backup, followed by some check boxes. Now you have to select those things that you want to backup. After you have made your selections, you have to tap on OK. The screens are going to look something like this:
- After you tap on OK then you will have to select a location on your phone where you want to save your backup. Select your desired save location and then tap on it.
- If you choose a cloud backup service, then first you will have to sign into it. And if you select a memory card/ SD Card location, then you will have to confirm the directory. The screens will look something like this now:
- After that you will be asked to give a name to the backup file. And then the backup will start.
- After your data has been successfully backed up, you will get a short summary of what was backed up. The screen will be looking something like this now:
- You can also backup your apps and app data if your phone is rooted. But only the APKs which are installed on your phone will be backed up if you have an unrooted android device. But your app data can also be backed up on Google servers if your service is enabled.
- You just have to check the boxes of apps that you want to save, and then tap on the Backup button at the bottom. The screens will be looking something like this:
- Now if you want to restore the backup on your phone, you just have to tap on the restore tab. Then you will be prompted to set the Easy backup app as the default SMS app. Once your data has been restored then you can change this back. The screens will be looking something like this now:
- Now you have to tap on the backup that you want to restore. Now you will be shown a detail of what will be restored. Tap on OK and then your work is done.
- Now if you want to restore the apps, then you have to go to the main menu and then tap on the Apps Tools and then on the Archived tab. Now you can restore those APKs that you choose and then you have to tap on the Install at the bottom.
3) Via app (on rooted phones)
If you have a rooted android phone, then Titanium Backup is the best app that can take backup of your whole phone. This app can backup each and everything that is present on your phone. You can also transfer files between your phone and SD card via Titanium.
Now if you want to use Titanium backup, you will have to follow the steps described below:
- The first step is that you have to download and install this app on your phone.
- Now you will have to start this app, and then you will have to grant it with the root privileges. The screens will look something like this:
- You have to enable the USB Debugging on your phone.
- Now you will be able to see three tabs in the app. In the Overview tab, there will be information about your device. Then there is the Backup/Restore tab where you can take backup and then restore it. The third tab is the Schedules where regular backups are scheduled.
- You have to tap on the tab which is Backup/Restore. Now there will be a list of things present on your phone. The triangular symbol next to each item in the list means that there is no backup of that item. And the smiley means that there is the backup of that item. The screens will look like this:
- If you want to take backup of your apps or system data, then you will have to tap on the little document having a check mark on it, at the top. You will now reach a list of batch actions.
- Now whichever action you want to do, you have to tap on the run option next to that action. Tapping on Run which is next to Backup all user apps will backup all of your app data and so on. The screens will look like this:
- Now Titanium will create the backup of your phone. This process may take some time.
- Once the backup is created successfully, it will be saved with the date as the label.
- Now if you want to restore the backup in Titanium, then you again have to go to the screen with batch actions, and then scroll down. Under the restore settings, you have to tap Restore all system data and Restore all apps with data. The screens will look like this:
- You can now tap on the run which is next to the things that you want to restore.
- After that you will be given a choice that if you want to restore the entire backup that you took, or you just want to restore some portion of it. After you have made tour choices, then on the top right corner, you have to tap on the green check mark.
4) PC/Laptop backup
If you have an unrooted android device and you want to take the complete backup of your device on your PC/Laptop, then Helium app will be great for you. You can download Helium app on your phone and PC and then take complete backup and without any kind of root access. The pro version of this app lets you store the backup in cloud and schedule the automatic backup.
So if you want to take backup of your phone through this method, then follow the steps below:
- First step is that you have to download and install this app on you mobile phone.
- Now you have to download and install it on your PC.
- Now you have to connect your android smartphone to your PC with the USB cable.
- Now on your phone, you have to enable the USB Debugging.
- Maybe you will have to switch your USB connection type to PTP/camera mode.
- Now you will have to accept the RSA key of your computer. the screens will be something like this:
- Now in the Helium window in your PC, there will be a green check mark. It means that connections have been made and you have now enabled the Helium backups.
- The same message will also be displayed on your android device. You can now disconnect your phone from your PC.
- Now if you turn your phone off, then you will have to reestablish this connection.
- Now in your phone, there will be two tabs in the Helium app. The first is Backup and the second one is Restore and Sync. In the backup tab, you can choose the apps that you want to take backup of. You just have to place a check mark next to them.
- If you want to select all the apps, then you can tap on the select all option. The screens will be like this:
- You can wither take the backup of just data (it is faster) or everything (includes apps and data)
- Now when you tap on the Backup button, then you will be given options to select your backup location. It will be rather internal storage, external storage or a cloud storage.
- After you have made the selection, you may be asked to make sure that no passwords have been set for full backups. Or it will ask you to enter the password. Once this step is passed, the process of backup will take place. See the screen below:
- Now when you want to restore the backup, you just have to find your backup in the Restore & Sync tab. If you want to do PC downloads, you can do so by connecting to the Helium server.
5) PC backup for lost people
If you are too much lost in the above demonstration or if you think that all the above methods are too much complex and complicated, then don’t worry, I have an easy method for you too. You just have to connect your android device to your PC via a USB cable, then open a file explorer on your PC, and then navigate to your phone. You will see a couple of folders there. They will include photos, music, videos, documents etc. you just have to go in each of the folder and then copy and paste the items that you want, on your computer.
This is the easiest way through which you can backup your files on your phone.
I hope this article was helpful for you. Hope to see you soon.